Monday, May 11, 2015

Tasting - Aconga Bonarda Merlot

Name: Aconga Bonarda Merlot
Variety: 80% Bonarda and 20% Merlot
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2014
Price: $4

Winery Review: This one seems to get a little better every vintage. For a very pittance out of your pocket, this is a tasty mouth full of red wine. Surprising viscosity for a Bonarda based wine. Dark ruby, but by no means opaque color. It is very easy to discern the rustic, vegetative contribution of the Bonarda on both the nose and palate. The Merlot brings a flinty, creamy, mineral richness that totally compliments the Bonarda. Gritty little tannins. Bramble, blueberry and mulberry fruit. Some vanilla from oak. Opens up nicely with a little time in glass. Rustic, earthy finish. A great value.
-Mike Kopanski – 87 Points


My Review:
The nose on this is quite pungent. There’s cherry with some oak and maybe spoiled fruit. It definitely has a rustic quality to it. There’s cherry present on the taste with a certain spiciness to it. There are some awkward flavors in there. I don’t think it necessary works for me. It’s got some bite. The finish is short-medium length. It’s not that good.

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy the cherry/black fruit of the 2015 that I have several bottles stored away. I'll most likely store a few more. I haven't tried the later vintages but I will after reading the Kopanski review.

    ReplyDelete