Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tasting - Peller Estates Ice Wine Vidal

Name: Peller Estates Ice Wine Vidal
Variety: 100% Vidal Blanc
Region: Niagara Peninsula
Country: Canada
Year: 2005
Price: $60 for 375 mL

Winery Review: An exceptionally well-balanced Icewine exhibiting sophistication and elegance. The clean fruit flavours of peach, pear juice, tangerine and a drizzle of honey excite the palate. Lemon drops, apricot and candied citrus peel linger through on the finish. Best enjoyed through 2018.   Serve chilled at 8 to 10°C in small white wine glasses, 1 to 2 oz per person. Enjoy before a meal, chilled with your favourite vodka and a couple of frozen grapes for an amazing Icewine Martini. During a meal with pâté or with foie gras for a mouth sensation. Also a wonderful companion to Indian curry dishes and spicy Asian cuisine. Serve with the cheese course which may include Saint Andre, 3 year old Canadian cheddar or creamy blue cheeses. After a meal with fruit based desserts of mango, pear, quince, sweet citrus and tropical fruits; crème caramel; crème brûlée; custards; and syllabubs.


My Review:
This was a wonderfully splendid wine, one of the best I’ve ever had. I was able to try this because my aunt had forgotten she had it in her fridge and let me have it. It was an unopened 50 mL individual (half of a half) tasting but wow did it leave an impression. The wine had a goldish, possibly pinkish hue to it. The nose was very aromatic. It had a dominant peach or stone fruit smell. It seemed to me that this could be a fruit liqueur; it had that kind of nose to it. As for the taste, my palate detected peach, apricot, and honey. It was super silky smooth. I couldn’t taste any alcohol really. It finished short. Boy, was this a delight. I’ve grown to like Vidal Blanc as my white wine variety of choice (along with few select others) as I’ve haven’t had a bad one yet in my limited experience. This was my first Ice Wine though and I was impressed by it. While the product is certainly worth the price, this wine is out of my range. Bottom line, fantastic wine and would love to drink again.

No comments:

Post a Comment